It was founded in 1946 by the administration of José Vasconcelos, who was its director until his death in 1959.
The library is located in a building that dates from the end of the XVIII century inside the city’s historic center, which has been the scenario of important political episodes. It was the prison of the leader of the independence Don José María Morelos, and it sheltered part of the military forces that brought down government of former President Madero in 1913.
It has a bibliographic collection with almost 250,000 books, among which there are samples of great historic bibliographic value; its newspaper library has more than 1,000 titles; it has a video library, and specialized collections:
reserved rooms and special collections
room for visually impaired people
Its main objective is to develop, provide services and bring library and cultural services to the entire community with the purpose to have growing free knowledge in every aspect.