“PEÑON DE LOS BAÑOS” LITTLE MOUNTAIN.
It was at Tepetzinco (small mountain, or little mountain) place of volcanic origin that the Aztecs stayed when they arrived in the Anáhuac Valley. The conquerors named it Peñón, scenic and legendary place. The legend tells that Copli, son of Malinaxoch, brother of Huitzilopochtli, was sacrificed and beheaded, his heart was taken out and his body was hurled down the waters of the great Texcoco lake, and his blood created a spring of boiling water. Its water served thousands of inhabitants who wanted to bathe, looking for a better health; that was the story of its name Peñón de los Baños. From 1900 to 1910, a village was built in several neighbourhoods, and inhabited by people who lived of the fishing in the Texcoco lake.