FORMER CONVENT SANTO DESIERTO DE NUESTRA SRA. DEL CARMEN.
These types of convents in the outskirts of the city got their names from the use that the Carmelite monks gave to the word "desert" to qualify places for spiritual retreat. The first stone of the original convent was placed on January 23 1606 and its construction was finished on July 2 1911. Due to dampness on the walls, fires and an earthquake in 1711, the two plan convent was seriously damaged, and it was consequently demolished. In 1722, a new convent was built in a single plant, which is the current one. At the same time, nine hermitage temples, and one chapel were built around the convent area. Due to weather problems, the friars had to move to Tenancingo in 1780. The convent was known as the Santo Desierto de Señora del Carmen de los Montes de Santa Fe. San Elías was the spiritual founder of this religious order. One of the purposes taught by the Carmelites was to dedicate their lives to worship and prayer.