SANTA CATARINA PLAZA.
In 1540 this plaza was built by the space of a small hermitage temple dedicated to Santa Catarina Mártir. After some donations, among which there was the legacy of Isabel de la Barrera, it was possible to finish the construction of a new temple in 1640, which had been severely damaged after the frequent floods in the second half of the XVII century, The remaining building dates from 1740. Its facade is very plain, and it has double stretched pillars on both sides of the door, and the niche is in the second body. The facade and the tower base are covered with tezontle (volcanic stone). There used to be a market in front of this temple for a long time, and close to the plaza there was the royal tobacco factory, which moved to the building of the same name of the town in 1807. Two streets were built in the XX century: one to the north and the other to the west of the plaza, that only worked for eventual parking. There is a small garden in the middle, which has always been dirty and messy. The surrounding houses kept the same height, materials and measures. The plaza was remodeled in 1967, and its installations were eliminated, which raised the value of its ancient houses. A curtain of trees was lifted to change the bad aspect of the facades at the Nicaragua Street, a monument of the insurgent Leona Vicario was placed, as well antique supports of the cadenas row.